Taking great care of your hair is essential to avoid hair loss and baldness. If baldness doesn’t run in your family and you don’t need to take strong medication like antidepressants and anticonvulsants, then the power to keep your hair rests solely in your hands.
Anatomy of Hair
First things first, let’s learn more about how hair is structured. Each person usually has around 100,000 hair strands in her or his head. A hair strand is made up entire of protein and grows out of roots in the scalp. The strand is made up of three layers with the outermost layer, called the cuticle, protecting the two innermost ones. Like a suit of armor, the cuticle is made up of scales which give hair its shiny and lustrous look when they lie flat and interlock together properly. Oil or sebum should also coat your hair in order to protect it.
Every month, each strand of hair should grow by a half-inch. The life of a hair strand usually occurs in three phases: the anagen or the growth phase, the catagen or the transitional phase, and the telogen or the resting phase. Hair spends a couple of years in the anagen phase before moving onto the catagen phase before stopping growth during the telogen phase. Hair in the telogen phase usually die off after a while and fall off; the root will then start growing new hair.
In the Shower
Good care habits will result in great healthy hair. When taking a hot shower, make sure that you only set the temperature only slightly warmer than your body temperature. Higher degrees than that will dry your hair and damage its cuticles resulting in frayed strands.
When shampooing your hair, use only an amount of shampoo equal to the size of a 20 cent coin. Going beyond that is excessive and will introduce too much chemicals into your hair.
Get the right shampoo for your hair type. If your hair is straight and oily, you don’t need anything else but the gentle types of shampoos since your hair is practically healthy. For people with rough and curly hair, go for shampoos that soften and manage frizz. People with dry or damaged hair need shampoos with glycerin or collagen to restore luster and bounce. Hair that has undergone treatments and dyes need shampoos with amino acids and herbal extracts to counterbalance the harmful chemicals from the treatment.
Use a deep conditioner only once a week since prolonged use of conditioners can be detrimental to the health of your hair.
When drying your hair with a towel, be gentle and daub your locks to remove excess water and moisture. Don’t aggressively rub the towel to dry your hair since the rough material of the towel will abrade your hair’s cuticles and fray the scales.
Wrap the towel around your hair and air dry. Avoid using hair dryers since they can dry your hair and make them vulnerable to damage.
Grooming and Styling
- Combing the hair 100 times is a myth. Avoid excessively combing your hair because it can damage the hair strands. Use gentle strokes and stop when your hair looks proper already.
- Get a haircut on a regular basis. Haircuts are great since hair strands are cut in between which removes split ends.
- Trim the ends of your hair every 6 – 8 weeks.
- Avoid going for corn rows and dreadlocks since these hair styles essentially choke the life out of your hair. In general, avoid hairstyles that pull or stretch your hair too much.
- Hair treatments and hair supplies like hair dyes and gels use chemicals that can diminish the quality of your hair. Use sparingly.
- Wear a hat when going outside during noontime or afternoon hours, since harsh sunlight, especially in the Australian summer, can damage your hair.
- Always shower after coming from the swimming pool. The chlorine in the swimming pool can harm your hair.
- Watch your diet. Go for food that is rich in Iron, Vitamin C, Zinc, and Omega 3 like fruits and fish. These vitamins and minerals promote the growth and health of your hair.
- Stress can induce hair loss. Avoid physiological stress as much as possible. Maintain a healthy routine and make relaxation part of your day.
Following these tips will help you maintain great hair and keep hair loss at bay. In case you or anyone you know is showing signs of baldness, don’t hesitate to get in touch with us. Our treatments will help you grow your hair back. Fierce Hair Growth will help you regain your youthful good looks through our treatments.